Wednesday really rolls around quickly some weeks, does it not? The theme this week is all about sports and such. Hmmm…wonder why? LOL! Play along by posting your link on Joyce’s blog. I look forward to visiting to read your answers!
1. In the USA this coming Sunday millions will be watching as the Baltimore Ravens take on the San Francisco 49′s in the Superbowl. What was the last event you attended that could be described as super?
Well, I’d like to think that any place I attend is “super” simply because of my presence there, but that would be a tad self-centered, eh? heehee
I think that the last event I attended that was spectacular was two summers ago when we had a weekend-long Christian concert series ON my local beach.
It was AMAZING to be worshiping the Lord with thousands of other believers with famous acts such as Amy Grant, Point of Grace, Chris Tomlin, and Michael W. Smith leading the music.
2. Share something you’re a fan of these days?
Right now, I am a fan of my high school’s football coach who comes to my classroom and sits there to show his players that their academic success is more important than their success on the field. To know that I can send the coach an email when I’m concerned about one of my kids, who happens to also be one of his players, and he responds immediately…well, I’m the coach’s #1 fan these days. His wife is pretty cool too!
3. How do you feel about wings? In case anyone is confused, I’m talking the edible appetizer kind. What’s your preferred seasoning on a wing-hot, mild, teryiaki, sweet and sour, other? Do you make your own or is there a favorite place you like to go for wings?
I’m a vegan now…have been for over two years…but when I ate wings, I ate them in great quantity and preferred them hot and wet, dipped in Ranch dressing. Beef O’Brady’s is our preferred restaurant of choice, although I usually get veggie wraps now.
4. As long as we’re talking sports today…have you followed the Lance Armstrong story? Did you watch his interview with Oprah and if so what was your reaction to his confession and subsequent remarks?
I did not watch the interview, but I will say that I am extremely disappointed. I was duped, along with most of America. I read his autobiography years ago and was very inspired by his courage. I think he let the entire world down…a world that is always looking for a hero. I don’t know how sincere he was in his confession. That is not for me to judge. I think he’s paying the ultimate price by losing the respect of his peers as well as his children. I doubt that he will ever be able to overcome the stigma of being a huge fake.
5. What’s a question you hate to be asked?
I cannot limit this to just one question. Both are teacher-related.
Question: What are we doing today?
Question: Can we have a chill day?
Answer: In the summer, after school lets out.
6. The coaches in this Sunday’s big game happen to be real life brothers. Jim Harbaugh coaches the 49er’s and his older brother John Harbaugh coaches the Baltimore Ravens. Were you and your sibling(s) competitive? In what way? Are you still? If you’re an only child how did you handle competition growing up?
I’d like to think that Super Sis and I were not competitive. She is three years younger, my mom’s favorite, and was always pretty (I was not). She had boyfriends (hers were way cuter than mine) and seemed to have her act together. Did we compete, though? I don’t think so. I’m sure I was probably a little jealous at times, but I tried my best to take care of her…protect her…because I had been doing that from the time we were very, very little. I’m so grateful that she and I are close. She’s the ONLY person who truly understands the “issues” I still struggle with…stuff that came from years of, quite honestly, “crap.” I love her so much.
7. What’s your favorite game involving a ball and when did you last play?
I love so many sports. I’d say that my favorite is soccer because my children have played since they were young. Chicky just started her final Spring training at Southeastern. I can’t believe how quickly the years have flown by!
As for me playing? Well, I’m not a gifted athlete. I tried my hand at tennis and stunk. I enjoy bowling, but gutter balls are the norm for me. I last “officially” played a sport with a ball in high school. I was on the basketball team and was a bench warmer. I came in when were winning big or losing bad.
8. My Random Thought
My friend, Barb, who comments on my blog with the nickname “Dinosaur” won Teacher of the Year for my district a few years ago.
Today, her husband will be observed by the “Powers that Be” because he has made it to the top five teachers in the running for Teacher of the Year.
Two teachers…married to each other…amazing teachers.
He teaches math.
I spent a couple of hours at their house the evening before I took my General Knowledge Test to get my teaching certificate.
I was and still am petrified of math.
I had cried all day before I’d gotten there, and I took a huge wad of kleenex with me to their house.
He patiently helped me work through problems in my study guide, allowing me to cry when I felt overwhelmed.
I passed that test thanks to his patience and the box of kleenex I went through.
Please say a prayer for him.
He’s a guy and seems to be taking it in stride, but I know he’d appreciate your whispered prayers.
Thanks a bunch!