It’s hard to believe that we’re on the other side of January, eh? I can’t say I’m unhappy about that with the coldddd weather we’ve had of late. Brrr…Florida shouldn’t get down into the 20’s!! I love Joyce’s questions today. Play along and link back up with her!
1. It was decided on Sunday the Denver Broncos will meet the Seattle Seahawks in this year’s Superbowl. So when was the last time you bowled? Not where you thought this question was going is it? Do you like to bowl? Are you any good?
I do, actually, enjoy bowling, although I cannot remember, exactly, when I last bowled. I know it’s been a few years. As with any sport, I pretty much stink. Coordination, unless knitting needles and yarn are involved, just doesn’t seem to be my thing. Still, I do like to have fun trying!
2. Should sports stars be role models?
I don’t know if they should be role models, but they most definitely are because of the glorified status that the public has bestowed upon them thanks to outrageous salaries.
Now, I’m all about celebrating a person’s talents, don’t get me wrong, having reared a spectacular athlete (my Chicky). And yes, she’s a role model simply because she’s on a field of play, with everyone watching her.
Thus it is, athletes naturally become role models the moment they step into an arena of any sort. Let’s pray that they are good examples…unlike “certain” people…or rather a “person” who wasn’t a good role model last weekend.
3. January is National Oatmeal month…are you a fan? How do you like your oats?
I love the old fashioned oatmeal where it has to cook for ten minutes. I like to put brown sugar on it. Yum!
4. What is one book on your reading list for 2014?
Just one, Joyce? Really? I am a high school reading teacher!! I have LOTS of books on my to-read list. With that said, Neal Shusterman’s fourth book in the Unwind series comes out this summer. Its title is Undivided, and I can hardly wait!
Hollow City, the sequel to Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Griggs, also comes out soon. The first was a quirky book but strangely addicting. A movie is being made of it.
I’ve got a lot of other young adult books that I want to read in keeping up with my students. I’m currently reading the I am Number 4 series.
5. What would you like your future self to say to your present self?
You were more of an effective teacher than you realized. I am constantly doubting myself…holding myself up in comparison to other teachers. I’d like to think that my future self would tell my present self that the worrying was for naught.
6. When scrolling through the TV guide, what is one movie title that makes you want to stop, grab the popcorn, and watch for a while?
The first movie that came to mind was Gladiator. What a moving story with an ending that makes me cry Every. Time. I. Watch.
7. What are two style trends you hope never come back into fashion?
I would be happy never to see high-waist pants and parachute pants come back into fashion. Blech.
8. My Random Thought
Yesterday, I attended a breakfast sponsored by the group that will be hosting our annual reading conference. I was pleasantly surprised when I won a door prize…two brand new books for my classroom!! I can’t wait to read the one on the left. The book jacket painted a suspenseful story!!