Sorry I skipped the Hodgepodge last week. Life has been a wee bit busy here in the education world. I’m here this week, though, so let’s get going!
1. I’m celebrating a birthday this week so a question relating to aging feels appropriate. Douglas MacArthur is quoted as saying, ‘You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair.” Would you agree? If not why not?
I agree. I think that age is largely mind over matter and has everything to do with confidence. In other words, age is a number only, if you allow it to be.
2. What remarkable feat, interesting piece of trivia, or historical event occurred on your birth day and month? Not necessarily in your birthyear, just the same date/same month.
I enjoyed this question because I got to read about a lot of interesting things that happened on my birthday, March 29th. As a lover of history, I enjoyed reading that in 1867, Congress approved the Lincoln Memorial. What an amazing legacy he left!
3. Describe a time or circumstance where you wanted to ‘have your cake and eat it too.‘
Oh, I always want to have things my way…and only my way. Why not? I want a new car but don’t want to give up fun money to save for it. That’s just one of many things I could share.
4. What’s something you do that makes you feel young? Something that makes you feel old?
I teach, and this, I believes, keeps me young because I’m interacting with teenagers all day.
I teach, which makes me feel old, because I see when they don’t know about things like typewriters and hair crimpers.
5. When did you last do something that was ‘a piece of cake’?
I started knitting a new pair of socks. Despite the cables, which look complicated, the pattern isn’t really that difficult.
6. Beef, wine, and cheese all improve with age. What’s something else you’d add to that list? (not necessarily food or beverage).
People, shoes, and blue jeans all get worn in and more relaxed the older they get. Funny but true.
7. If I were to have a giveaway when we hit Volume 200, what should I give away? By my calculations we’ll hit Volume 200 on November 26th, the day before Thanksgiving, which means whoever wins would have whatever it is in time for Christmas.
I’d love something like an Amazon gift card or a gift card for the making of a keepsake blog book (where you have blog posts bound into a book…a dream of mine).
8. My Random Thought
It’s Wednesday. I’m already looking forward to Saturday.
Because Saturdays are when I get to snuggle with my babies…
Being woken up to this girl’s face makes the stresses of the week melt away…