Not surprisingly, with the 4th around the corner, this week’s questions follow the holiday’s theme. Join up with Joyce after posting answers to the questions on your own blog. I look forward to meeting some new friends when I visit some of you! Now, on to the questions!
1. On Saturday July 4th America celebrates her Independence. (If you’re not American, feel free to answer in terms of a national holiday in your own country) What is your favorite thing about the day? Your favorite food on the 4th? Do you fly a flag at your house? Fireworks-yay or nay? Any special plans this year?
My favorite thing about this day is the reminder of the sacrifices that were made early in our country’s founding and all of the years after that to maintain our independence. I am grateful for the bravery and selflessness of the men and women who have served our country. I don’t really have a favorite food tied into the 4th of July. I’m a vegan and just eat whatever. I don’t fly a flag here either. Oh, and regarding fireworks, I’m really just meh. My dogs don’t like them, so I’m more of a nay person right now. I’m also not much of a parade person. I guess I just prefer to celebrate the holiday privately.
2. What’s something you recently got for free?
I recently purchased an iRobot Roomba vacuum cleaner. I bought it online from Best Buy, and included in my purchase was a free (I kind of think the price of the Roomba sort of paid for it) replenishment kit.
Here’s a short video of the Roomba in action…
Poor Pele. I have to crate him when I leave because he’s regressed to his puppy chewing days. I also turn the Roomba on when I leave. To maximize the floor area, I have to put the dog beds somewhere…
Here’s the after video…areas that typically collect massive amounts of dog hair…
By the way, if you’re curious if it really works, check this out.
I used to spend at least 45 minutes a week vacuuming. That is one of the downsides of having three dogs. “Rosie,” as I’ve named her, does her thing and returns to the docking station to recharge. I love her! The dogs…not so much.
3. The Statue of Liberty, The Liberty Bell, The Washington Monument, or Mount Rushmore…how many on the list have you seen? What is your favorite historical American monument, and why?
I’ve seen the Washington Monument but wouldn’t be opposed to seeing the others on this list! I don’t go sightseeing very often, but a trip my family took to D.C. many years ago had us visiting all of the tourist sites there. What stood out were the Lincoln Memorial (so enormous, much like the man’s legacy) and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (I’ll never forget the reverence of the changing of the guard).
4. When it comes to the news are you more ostrich (stick my head in the sand) or hog (they have room to take a whole lot in)? How much attention have you given the recent news reports regarding ISIS and the acts of terror they’ve perpetrated against those who do not share their beliefs or support their cause?
Truth be told, I’m completely over the news. For the most part, each station is biased, and most news stories are overblown. I think I’m on information overload, and I just can’t handle much more. Plus, the news is pretty depressing, so I prefer not to fill my head with negativity.
Regarding ISIS, I don’t know a lot about what’s going on, just the basics. I truly feel badly about the mass killings that are happening. It’s senseless.
5. We’re talking plain ice cream…vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry? Choose one.
Let’s talk dairy-free for the lactose intolerant. Of that, I’ll partake of chocolate please.
6. Share a song you love containing the word ‘stars’ in the lyrics or title?
I really like the song All Star by Smash Mouth, and I often use this in class videos. It’s upbeat and always puts a smile on my face.
7. Describe and/or say goodbye to June with an acrostic.
Because that’s what teachers do in the summer. We sleep. A lot. Preferably while snuggling our fur babies.
8. My Random Thought
With all of the stuff going on with our Supreme Court decisions, I still managed to buy something patriotic this week…
Who can resist a Kohl’s sale and minions? This is my new night shirt. I smile every time I see myself wearing it. 🙂