Confession time. It’s been twenty days since my last post. Sheesh. What is up with me? Oh wait…it’s summer vacation, which has meant no lesson planning so less need to pull out the laptop, which ultimately means less blogging.
I’m going to remedy that as one of my personal goals. There’s no better place to start than with Joyce’s Hodgepodge! So, here we go!
1. I recently read here about four secrets to happiness from around the world. They were-
Overcome your fears by facing them head on, allow yourself to relax and reset, work to live versus living to work, and find the good in life. Not sure if these are the actual secret to happiness, but which of the four do you struggle with most? Which one comes most easily to you?
I think learning to relax and working to live go hand-in-hand for me. Last school year, I began finding balance, but as a teacher, it’s difficult not to bring work home. My goal is that, despite the heavy load that will be on my shoulders this year, I will leave work, for the most part, in my classroom so that I can reset when I’m home.
I’m pretty good at finding God’s blessings in life. I find myself needing to see these things to offset the bad stuff in the world.
2. How would you spend a found $20 bill today?
I would probably put it in my purse, where I’ve still got my birthday money. I’m saving for a new purse…my current one has frayed handles.
3. Ego trip, power trip, guilt trip, round trip, trip the light fantastic, or trip over your own two feet…which ‘trip’ have you experienced or dealt with most recently? Explain.
Gosh, but most of these don’t fit my recent experiences at all! If I had to choose one, I’d go with guilt trip. I know I want to write lesson plans for the first couple of weeks of school to get ahead so I can focus my energy on other smaller tasks; however, I’m desperately holding onto what’s left of my summer vacation. Thus, I found myself enjoying a three-hour nap yesterday afternoon. Other than my fantastic leg workout, it was not a productive day.
4. If you could master any physical skill in the world what would it be, and how would you use that skill?
What a hard question! I guess the one that hits home for me right now is running. I am not a runner by any stretch of the imagination. I’m rather slow (although I did 200 meters in 1:07 on Sunday). I don’t have the stamina. I’ve signed up for my first 5k, the Color Run. I’ll be doing it with my sister in late October. I’m excited because this has been a goal of mine for a long time, but I really need to start training for it…consistently.
Becoming a runner would help me stay in shape and would help me relieve the stress I carry home daily from work.
5. As July draws to a close, let’s take inventory of our summer fun. Since the official first day of (North American) summer (June 20th) have you…been swimming? enjoyed an ice cream cone? seen a summer blockbuster? camped? eaten corn on the cob? gardened? deliberately unplugged? watched a ballgame? picked fruit off the vine? taken a road trip? read a book? Are any of these activities on your must-do-before-summer-ends list?
I’ve been swimming, sort-of, seen a summer blockbuster, completely unplugged, watched a heck of a lot of soccer (TEAM USA), and read six or seven books. I’ve got two more weeks of vacation left. I see no reason to change things up at the moment.
6. The Republican Presidential candidates will debate on August 6th. What’s your question?
What is your opinion about the Supreme Court’s same-sex marriage ruling?
Hearing the answer to this question will tell me a lot about a candidate. I vote according to my morals. I realize there’s more to being president than that, but how one follows the Bible’s teachings tells a lot about the person’s heart condition and potential for decision-making.
7. What’s your most listened to song so far this summer?
I don’t have one! I listen to Christian radio when I’m in the car or at the gym (it’s a Christian gym and plays mostly Christian music). Whatever is the most popular on those stations is what I’ve been listening to!
8. My Random Thought
If I had to create a collage that summed up my summer vacation, this picture would be front and center…lots of reading…lots of time with my fur babies..bliss overload.
By the way, that’s Game of Thrones. Yes, I’m late to the party. The Mr. brought it home after a co-worker learned that I’m a Reading/English teacher. I was hooked from the first few pages!
A funny thing happened a few days ago. Rooster, whose room is a mini disaster area, walked out one day with a book in hand. It happened to be the second book in this series. Which dark corner he found it in, and how long it had been there, is unknown. We got a good laugh from it.
Filed under: This-n-That |